CGA Ontario Board of Directors Sets Clear Direction
After considering the options, the board of directors of CGA Ontario has determined that it is not in the best interests of its members and the public to consider a merger with the proposed CPA body. Our members’ professional interests are best served through an association dedicated to protecting your professional rights and advocating on your behalf to employers, clients and government.
Over the last few weeks, more than 500 CGAs participated in member forums. When CGAs heard the facts, they overwhelmingly rejected the idea of merging with a body that would not commit to treating all members fairly and equally.
CGAs’ future rights and opportunities are at risk without meaningful commitments to:
- Access to future programs for CGAs (e.g. specialization, post-designation professional development.)
- Continued access to public accounting for CGAs.
- CGAs currently in professional practice to continue their businesses.
- Include all CPA Ontario members in new and renewed mutual recognition agreements with other international accounting bodies, regardless of legacy designation.
- A CPA organization that would protect your status as full professionals.
- A minority protection mechanism, wherein members, not the elected board, decide on fundamental matters such as mergers and designation name changes.
Your board, as part of its due diligence did not proceed with a merger because it saw considerable risk without the above commitments. Those risks included:
- Potential loss of CGAs’ professional status, rights and opportunities (especially in public practice and public accounting but not limited to)
- No protection for you as a CGA in a CA controlled organization that differentiates its members through a class system
- No protection for you as a CGA in an organization dominated by a CA board without the protection of a member vote on fundamental issues.
- Legal liabilities as a result of issues regarding the lack of a vote on a merger by all members. [two legal opinions advise 2/3 member approval needed for legal vote on merger.]
Given these potential risks and the ICAO’s refusal to mitigate them by providing legally enforceable commitments, your board has determined to remain as CGA Ontario. We are committed to sustaining and growing the CGA designation. We will continue to grow the brand, advocate for our members and build our reputation as influential business leaders. With your support – 22,000 CGAs demonstrating the skills and abilities the marketplace wants – we see success.
To learn more about this issue, register for an online member forum: February 4th and February 13th at noon. Pre-registration is required.
For your convenience, the member forum presentation and archived webcast are now available in the News and Updates section of CGA Ontario’s website (login required.)
A survey is currently in market to gauge member views on various aspects of the merger discussions. Please click on the following link to start the survey:http://surveys.pollara.com/s/4595/?code=
CGA Ontario Supports Seneca College Professors and Students
CGA Ontario has donated
$255,000 to Seneca College’s School of Accounting and Financial
Services, in part to establish the CGA Ontario Learning Centre at the
College’s Newnham Campus.
The CGA Ontario Learning Centre officially opened on Wednesday,
January 23, 2013, with a ceremony attended by
Seneca College President David Agnew and CGA Ontario CEO Doug Brooks, FCGA.
Other highlights of CGA Ontario’s generous gift include:
- In-person, accounting-specific tutoring from a senior tutor through the CGA Ontario Learning Centre.
- Supporting faculty with ongoing professional development needs.
- Sponsorship of a Speakers Series with two events each year.
- A student outreach program that will build awareness of the career pathways available to CGAs.
- Scholarships in the CGA program for up to five Seneca accounting program graduates a year.
CGA Ontario and the University of Guelph Celebrate New Accreditation Agreement
Giving students what they need to DO MORE with their careers
CGA Ontario and the University of Guelph are holding an event Wednesday, January 30, 2013, to celebrate CGA Ontario’s accreditation of the bachelor of commerce accounting program.
Accreditation is awarded to universities whose curriculum aligns with
the CGA program of studies, allowing aspiring CGAs to immediately enrol
in advanced courses in the CGA program of studies.
CGA Ontario to Sponsor Countdown to Success
CGA Ontario is a proud partnering sponsor of the 1st annual Countdown to Success at the University of Toronto, Mississauga, a marquee event designed to expose students, alumni and professionals to countless business and networking opportunities within the accounting, finance and management fields.
Controllers' Congress: Register Before February 1 to Win!
If you register for Controllers’ Congress before February 1, you will be entered in a draw to win a CGA branded item valued at $100.
Controllers’ Congress is a great opportunity for aspiring and current controllers from across Ontario to network, learn and share updates on everyone relevant to controllership. With seminars ranging from international business to taxation updates, and networking skills to leadership styles, the seminars at Controllers’ Congress will help you grow as a professional, while enjoying a few days with your fellow CGAs.
Click here to read more about Controllers’ Congress 2013.
Click here to register for Controllers’ Congress 2013.
Mentoring Opportunities for CGAs
CGA Ontario has an exciting
opportunity for members to participate in a one-on-one mentoring program
with students in the CGA program.
This leadership opportunity will allow you to:
- Motivate and support a student to obtain the CGA designation.
- Work with students from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Provide career guidance and networking tips to students in the CGA program.
- Further develop your own coaching, communication and leadership skills.
- Obtain eligible CPD hours.
A small commitment of three
hours can make a big impact in the life of a student. Sessions will take
place via telephone or Skype. If you are interested in
this opportunity, please contact Raj Singh, CGA (email@example.com) or Carmen Jacques, CGA (firstname.lastname@example.org) at CGA Ontario.
Have You Completed Your 2012 CPD Declaration?
The 2012 CPD Declaration is available on CGA Ontario’s website. Once you have logged in to www.cga-ontario.org, you will find it in the left hand navigation menu under “My Account”. It is entitled “Online CPD Declaration 2012.” If you have any questions about the CPD declaration process, please contact Laurel Shaw, at 416-322-6520 or 1-800-668-1454, ext. 8259, or email her at email@example.com.
Volunteers Needed for 2013 Tax Preparation Services
Each spring, CGA Ontario volunteers offer tax preparation services to seniors and low-income Ontarians across the province. In the last tax filing season, over 500 CGAs donated their time and expertise to deliver close to 200 tax preparation services in communities across the province, completing more than 6,000 tax returns for low income Ontarians.
Many Ontario seniors and needy families fail to receive the tax refunds and benefits to which they are entitled, or cannot fulfil their civic duty to file, or end up paying for tax services, simply because they are unable to complete the returns.
Many dedicated CGAs volunteer at numerous tax sessions each season, contributing on most of their Saturdays for two months. To keep this service sustainable and to meet increased demand, new volunteers are needed.
Check the regional tabs in 'Net Value for a current listing of chapters that require volunteers this tax season.
Don't Miss This Year's Taxation Update Seminars!
Just in time for tax season, CGA Ontario is offering many corporate and personal tax updates throughout the province to help CGAs prepare for this busy time of the year.
See the list below for more details:
If you have any questions about the events above please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal Tax Planning Booklet Orders
CGA Ontario is accepting orders for the 2012-13 edition of Personal Tax Planning. This is your opportunity to place single and bulk orders up to a maximum of 200 copies.
To order, please visit http://www.cga-ontario.org/contentfiles/publications_promotions/ptp_form.aspx and complete the order form.